Last week members of team frank participated in the annual “Soup or Bowl” cook-off. Contestants brought in a homemade soup or chili and it was up to the entire agency to taste and vote on which dish took the top prize. The competition was fierce and in some cases downright spicy. But the winners were clear. Team frank project manager Mike Drummond took home the first place trophy for his White Chicken Chili. Team frank Associate Account Executive Joe Sallustio took home first place for his Sallustio Sausage Soup. Mike and Joe have shared their winning recipes below.
White Chicken Chili Recipe
1-2 lbs. boneless/skinless chicken breast
2 cans of Great White Northern Beans
1 can of rotel tomatoes
1 medium onion
3-8 garlic cloves, minced
4 oz. of chopped green chiles (1 can)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can of chicken broth (14 oz.)
1 cup of Monterey Jack Cheese
1 carton of sour cream (small)
1. Shred and cook chicken.
2. In a small skillet, cook onion and spices in cooking spray until translucent.
3. Combine Great White Northern Beans, Rotel tomatoes, onion, spice mixture and chicken in a large pot.
4. Cook on medium to low heat for about 1 hour.
5. Add Monterey Jack Cheese and sour cream.
6. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.
Sallustio Sausage Soup Recipe
2 lbs. Italian sausage
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
3 cartons (32 oz.) of chicken broth
4 to 6 potatoes, diced
2 to 3 cups chopped kale
1 cup heavy cream
1. Brown the Italian sausage in a pan/skillet (drain grease).
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions until translucent, add garlic and red pepper flakes to taste.
3. Stir in broth, sausage and potatoes; cook until potatoes are soft.
4. Reduce heat to low; add kale and cream; salt and pepper to taste; and simmer until heated through and serve.